Beijing Private 3-Day Tour (With Hiking From Jiankou – Mutianyu Great Wall)
Tour Code: CL-D-05
Duration: Beijing Three Full Days
Starts/Ends: On your request
Attractions: Jiankou - Mutianyu section Great Wall, Tian’anmen Square, the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Olympic Stadium and Summer Palace; Lama Temple
Day by Day Itinerary
Day 1: Tian'anmen Square-Forbidden City-Hutongs-Lama Temple
Morning Pick up at your hotel (between 8:30am to 9:00am)
Visit Tian’anmen Square, the world’s largest public square. Explore the sites around the square with opportunities to take some amazing pictures.
Next, the magnificent Forbidden City, the largest Imperial Palace in the world. We’ll spend a couple of hours wandering around this amazing example of Imperial architecture and learning about the history of the palace.
Dine in a local Chinese Restaurant.
After lunch, drive to the hutong (old residential area) where the transport change into a delightful rickshaw! The 30 minute rickshaw tour stops at a local family where our special guests get insight into the home settings, life, and culture of traditional Beijingers.
We will then take a 30 minute ride to the Lama Temple-the largest and most well-preserved Tibetan Buddhist Temple in Beijing.
Day 2: Jiankou To Mutiayu Section (Full Day Tour)
Pick up at your hotel (between 8:00am to 8:30am)
Hiking from Jiankou to Mutiayu section (1 1/2 to 2 hours drive)
This is a great hiking trip that is fun for the whole family!
It includes both unrestored and rugged “Wild Wall” along with tastefully restored wall, making it a perfect hike for comparison and understanding more about the true Great Wall.
This tour is an amateur photographer’s dream. Maybe you can sell the pictures from your trip to National Geographic!
The entire hiking duration for 5 hours!
While this hike will be a bit long, it will easily be the highlight of your time in China. For those of you who feel the need to stretch their legs after being cooped up in an office in Beijing (or wherever you may be from), this is the perfect opportunity to get some exercise and adventure, while also having loads of fun!
Jiankou Great wall, built in 1368, is located 73 kilometers north of Beijing. This section was built entirely of white stone, which makes it easily distinguishable from all the other sections of the vast, long wall. It’s other immediately distinguishable feature is it’s steepness; this section is one of the steepest and the climb is not for the faint of heart.
The Sky Stairs and the Cloud Stairs are two sections of Jiankou famous for their steepness. So steep they’re almost vertical, and narrow besides, these stairs can be a rather treacherous climb. The most famous part of Jiankou is the observation tower built at the top of the sections highest peak, called ‘eagle flies facing upward’ because it was built on such a steep mountainside. The view from the tower is nothing short of amazing.
First, you have to climb a small village called Xizaizhi at the bottom of Jiankou Great Wall. Then, you find the mountain ridges upon which the wall is built are steep in all directions. It will take you 4 to 5 hours hike all the way from Jiankou section to the Mutianyu section. Along the wall, you can enjoy a breath-taking view without the interruption by other tourists. In order to hike on Jiankou, first we have to climb up a path for about 60 minutes to reach it. Our hike today will take about 4 hours and will cover10km/ 6 miles. The Jiankou section is known for its ruggedness and wild beauty, and you will be in awe of the marvelous views it affords. As soon as we reach Jiankou we will see a deserted watchtower that gives you a panoramic view of the entire valley. In the early morning the view is priceless with its morning fog. This section of the wall is not well known by tourists, although if you see a picture of the Great Wall from exotic traveling magazines, chances are it is from Jiankou. This is the pinnacle of exotic Great Wall scenery.
We'll start from Zhengbeilou (see photo above) where is the best place to take photos. This part of the wall is often empty, so you will have some peace and serenity on your hike today. Another highlight of Jiankou is the enemy observation tower known as, "Ying Fei Dao Yang", so named because this watchtower was erected on the highest peak in the area, and eagles and hawks often perch on it. Although the majestic wall is slowly being conquered by small trees and brambles, but the view from the top is still stunning! However, it is pretty far from Zhengbeilou to see "Ying Fei Dao Yang" clearly.
From Jiankou we will cross over onto Mutianyu, a section of the wall that has been largely restored. Although it has gotten a face-lift, it avoids the army of tourists that plague Badaling. You can choose to take the toboggan down the wall highly recommended, lots of fun!
Day 3: Temple Of Heaven-Pearl Market-Summer Palace
Temple of Heaven~ the largest Imperial place of worship from ancient times. This special place becomes a park where the local community utilizes this beautiful and enormous space for social activities such as singing, dancing, and Taiji practice.
Pearl Market ~~Here you can find those fun knock-off brand bags, shoes, and watches as well as pearls. There is a little bit of everything here, and you will surely find some great souvenirs to bring home to family and friends.
We will then enjoy a delicious lunch of great dumplings or Chinese dishes with rice at the local restaurant.
We then take a 20 minute drive to the Summer Palace, a summer resort for Imperial Family Members~considered the best preserved Imperial Park.
After a short 30 minute drive, we will drive by the Olympic Stadium and you can see the outside view of the unique architecture of the "Bird Nest" and "Water Cube".
Options: ( At Your Own Cost)
You may choose to include a Perking Roast Duck dinner and the Gongfu Performance at the Red Theatre , or enjoy a wonderful Acrobatic Show at Chaoyang Theatre. Please notify us if would like to take advantage of this special, exciting addition.
- English-speaking tour guide service fee
- Air-conditioned vehicle with a private driver
- Gas, toll & parking lot fees
- Delicious Lunch in a local Chinese restaurant
- All entrance tickets to the sights listed above
- One way cable car down or one way toboggan down the Mutianyu Great Wall
Excluded (Not Included)
- Entrance tickets to the Bird's Nest & Water Cube
- Gratuity to the guide and driver
- Personal Costs
Discounts for children in China are based on height! Pls let us know your children's height so we can calculate accordingly!
1. The quoted price is for a-8 hour tour per day. If you use more than 6 hours or less than 8 hours per day it will still be considered a full day.
2. Additional hours are billed at 50CNY to 100CNY for the guide and 50CNY to 100CNY for the driver.
3. Pls note that the itinerary is flexible and we can adjust it according to your personal interests, the weather or any unexpected conditions.
4. For the lunch, we will take you to the authentic Chinese local restaurant catering for the locals with great dishes. If you prefer to take a lunch in a fancy restaurant or order dishes more than our budget then you can just cover the cost difference above our budget!
5. We conduct only private tour but not group tour and won’t mix you with others.
6. Our tours are complete non-forced shopping tour and we won’t take you to any factories without request to waste your valuable time.
Find More Tours In Beijing Private Classic Daily Tours
If you are a first comer, here is the typical one day to four days private tours that…
Hot Multi City Tours
- Do you have the English speaking driver for the airport pick up service ?
- How to meet the driver at the railway station in Beijing, Xi’an and Shanghai?
- Do we need a Chinese visa ?
Muilti City Tours
- Round Private Day Trip from Beijing to Xi’an by Return Flight
- Beijing-Xi’an Private 5-Days Tour by Round High Speed Train
- Beijing-Xi’an Private Tour by Overnight Z Train (5 Days)
- Beijing-Xi’an Private Tour by flight (3 Days)
- Beijing-Xi’an Private Tour by flight (4 Days)
- Beijing-Shanghai-Suzhou Private Tour by high speedy train (5 Days)